Friday, August 30, 2019

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Ra

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Ra
Ravenwood Coins prop replica - Kenner vintage figures

Indy is right up there with Ghostbusters and Batman 89 for me, yet he has never had as much merch.  Outside of a renewed interest in the franchise with the release of "Crystal Skull,"  finding Indy stuff is a crapshoot at flea markets.  It only half sucks, as the fun of finding a diamond in the rough outweighs the bad.  One of these recent diamonds was a metal, full-scale replica of the headpiece to the Staff of Ra that some friends (and fellow Indy fans) pointed me towards.  

Ravenwood Coins on facebook produces limited runs on smaller challenge coins which look and feel fantastic, but I was all about the bigger one.  I've been looking for a good replica for some time, weeding through the various 3-D printed ones.  Nothing has even come close to this one in accuracy and quality.  It's heavy, shiny, and doesn't require any finishing.  I still need to find a chain for it, if I wanna be all Marion-like.


It may sound a bit pricey at $85 shipped, but I guarantee you will not be dissatisfied.  If Ravenwood Coins offers these again and you consider yourself any kind of Indy fan, jump on it.  It's beautiful!  Please check out their page for other goodies, like the challenge coin version and mini Grail Knight shields.



Throwing in a couple of other Indy "artifacts" with this review...I recently picked up a vintage Kenner Indy and Cairo Swordsman at a local toy shop for $5 together.  I think the guy assumed they were some of those Funko ReAction figures...barf.  It's one of the best conditions I've seen an old Indy figure in.  He came with his gun (usually lost to time and couch cushions) and both thumbs (these have become brittle with time and wear.)  His whipping or quick-draw action works, too!



















Through an Indy autograph page, I picked up a Young Indiana Jones poster signed by the youngest Indy, Corey Carrier.  This was the first signing for him at a Chiller Theatre convention in NJ.  Members of the Fortune and Glory page were nice enough to take picture orders for those at a distance like myself.  Thanks for the opportunity to add this to the collection, Josh Clark!  There are some good folks out there in this fan community, but steer clear of the Raider.net...there are some real uppity jackasses in those parts.











Not new, but recently displayed:  a Jim Steranko autograph, a Crystal Skull art print, and a limited edition, signed artifact poster (all proceeds went to help American Veterans) by Matt Busch.  I also picked up Bottleneck Gallery's limited prints from Karl Fitzgerald. (Still need frames for Temple and Crusade.)  The adventure continues...more Indy stuff to come! (I hope...)






















1 comment:

  1. This is amazing! I love that people are using their 3-D printers for good �� it looks metal! The vintage Indy is SUPER awesome! Your showcase of Indy goods made me happy.

    ReplyDelete