Thursday, August 8, 2019

1989 Batarang and Grappling Gun

1989 Batarang and Grappling Gun
full-scale, 3D printed props


Thanks to 3D printing, Etsy is now as dangerous to me and my wallet as Ebay!  Simply search for a random movie or pop culture item in their search bar, and you can bet there will be at least a dozen or more items that have been brought to life for those of us who are less than skilled prop and costume builders.  I stumbled on these 1989 Bat-props while searching for 3D printed Ghostbusters prop parts.  The Machine knows what I like!

They've still got that 3D printed texture to them that a light sanding or paint coat might help with, but from a distance of two feet or more, they look pretty darn neat.







The gun comes in two pieces that can be assembled and disassembled easily.  The piton requires some assembly with its barbs and could use some glue for permanency.  I was surprised by the folding metal hinge for the handle...great detail, sturdy, and works great.  It could benefit from some paint and weathering but, all in all, not bad for $30.

The batarang is equally as sturdy for a homespun prop.  Lightweight, but not fragile.  They had a more expensive, folding option, but I'm happy with this static $20 model.  I will at least need to add silver paint to the bottom tips of the wing for screen accuracy.


So, if you love Batman 1989 like I do, and want some decent props that wont break the bank, I recommend these.  Though don't stick around Etsy for too long...one thing quickly spirals to the next:  "OOO a noisy cricket from MIB!  And an arm mounted proton pack!"  $$$

2 comments:

  1. I love these props. It's amazing what people can do. Your Joker figure photographs really well too. He snagged himself quite the Blue Light Special. Haha! And sign me up for an arm mounter proton pack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Useful information shared..I am very happy to read this article..thanks for giving us nice info.Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.I have Bookmark this webpage,I am sure I will visit this place again soon.Thanks for sharing.
    residential wifi service

    ReplyDelete