Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Third Doctor Who and TARDIS

Third Doctor Who and TARDIS
Character Options


I assume a past dip in the economy was was made Character Options’ 5-inch Doctor Who classics figures stall out.  But recently, there has been a fair amount of classic series love trickling out as store exclusives in the UK.  I have to sweat a little to find them and maybe pay a bit more for them as imports, but it’s not really breaking the bank so far.  The third Doctor, Jon Pertwee, is my favorite and, having missed the last exclusive TARDIS set, I wasn’t going to let this one go.

The Doctor’s suit and TARDIS deco are based on their appearance in the serial, “The Monster of Peladon.”  Both of his trips to Peladon (Curse of Peladon is the first) are great stories.


The jacket is a dark green, that could be mistaken for blue at first glance.  The same for the shirt, except light green/blue.  It’s not my favorite of his many looks, as I tend to gravitate toward the more flashy lapels, capes, and riding boots.

The sculpt is more of the same...this is my fifth Third Doctor figure?  However, I think the paint on this one is much better, really bringing out his hair, eyes, and facial features.


No accessories this time around.  C’mon...it’s hard enough not to lose the few tiny sonic screwdrivers I have for this guy.  Even if he doesn’t use it in this particular story, I know he has it on him!  And even if he didn’t wear a cape this time, use your imaginations...we know you have the sculpt and it isn’t that much plastic to spare.


I guess you could call the TARDIS accessory enough.  It looks great, but is pretty bare bones.  No lights and sounds this time.  Worst of all, they didn’t bother to sculpt over the battery box and speaker holes from previous incarnations.


The doors still function as before:  push to open, and one has a quick-shut button on the floor.  There is no cardstock backdrop to simulate the ship interior, so you’ll have to print your own.


Gripes aside, the paint job on the wood grain looks spectacular.  Love that lighter blue!  The windows are appropriately dirty, as is the police box signs.  There’s no phone inside, but the signage looks great.




I paid $60 shipped from a UK seller on Amazon.  It’s a little lightweight of a set, but it was the only way to get it.  Probably the last TARDIS I will need, and that’s a relatively small price to pay to get them to keep the classics line going.  Just need a few more companions and I should be able to close the door on this collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment