Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Howard the Duck and SP//dr

Howard the Duck and SP//dr
Funko Pop and Hasbro

I'm not typing that weird Spider-bot's name again.  I wouldn't even have bothered with him if I had not liked "Into the Spider-verse" so much.  I certainly didn't bother with the Marvel Legends build-a-figure version...at least this version is cute!  And he comes with a tiny Peni Parker figure!  I decided to pair them with another tiny dude in a big robot.  Wait...Howard the Duck has a robot suit now?!



Yup!  At least in some sort of fighting video game.  Funko made a deluxe Pop with Howard bobblehead.  Gross...but had some custom potential for my old Toy Biz Howard.  TB Howard was feeling a bit shafted after Hasbro gave his pack-in buddy, the Silver Surfer, an upgrade.  After ripping the bobblehead out, some pretty heavy dremeling, some smoke, and some melted plastic, Howard can finally stand toe-to-toe with the other Marvel heroes and villains.  
















The mech suit is a pretty solid hunk of plastic.  I might chop off the arms and add some sort of swivel joint, but for now, I'm glad Howard fits decently in the cockpit.  I guess he made a background appearance in Endgame...he should have had this awesome mech suit.

I wish I were able to hollow out a place for Peni Parker to actually fit inside the Spider-mech, but the plastic is hollow and might shatter or chip with cutting.  Oh well, she looks fine riding on top of him in a crouched, ape-like stance.  They are meant for the "kiddie/non-Marvel Legends" line so you don't get much articulation (swivels at shoulders, mid-arm, wrist, upper legs), but you do get a web-missile action feature! Peni has a ball jointed head and swivel arms. 
















It's a decent enough figure, again, if you liked Spider-verse.  I got mine on clearance from Hasbro on Ebay for $11 shipped...not too shabby!  The deluxe Howard the Duck Pop was about $12, and worth that even if all I could mod was ripping a bobble-head out of it's seat for a display piece.  Rock!


1 comment: