Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Detective Pikachu

Detective Pikachu
Wicked Cool Toys figurines


Pikachu is the only one with enough power to stop Thanos.  Seriously...I have been looking forward to this movie so, so much.  More than a guy my age probably should?  Some would say I was a little too old when Pokemon debuted in 1998, but man, was that original game addictive!  I was introduced to it by a friend who was introduced to it by his little brother.  Like most people who only saw the cartoon, I too was like "Pokemon?  Pfft...isn't that for kids?"  (This was on a summer vacation road trip, and we had both brought along our Gameboys for the ride.)  He insisted I try his Pokemon Red cart...and an hour later, we where making a pit stop (at K-Mart, RIP) so I could pick up Pokemon Blue.  Hooked!  And I didn't just get the opposite cart so we could link up and trade Pokemon, I am and forever will be a Blastoise fan.

  

With this movie, and new kids meal toys at Burger King, it feels like 98-99 all over again! And Wicked Cool Toys has some new Detective Pikachu figures to boot!  I like that these scale well with my World of Nintendo figures, expanding the Super Smash Bros. universe.  They are well sculpted,  featuring the movie's real-world take with fur and feathers and such.  

Pikachu and Psyduck came packed together.  No articulation here, as both are pretty small (under 2 inches.)  The are molded and painted well...pretty hard to screw up with all that yellow, but the other details are fine.  


Mr. Mime is larger, single-packed, and has some limited articulation.  The arms and legs swivel, so you can have him acting like he's touching this side of the invisible box or that side of the invisible box.  Not all that exciting, but it is articulation given that they could have just flat left out.


In picking these up at Target, I took advantage of a sale on older figures and scored a Lapras for about $7.  Looks great and has an action feature.  The flippers move as you roll it forward or back.



Not a big pickup here, but having seen WCT's Toy Fair lineup, I know more Pokemon goodness is on its way soon.  Thankfully, a lot of original 150/151 Pokemon...yes, I am one of those "old Pokemon" farts.  C'mon, realistic Blastoise figure!

I also picked up this nifty lil shopping cart in the Walgreen's Easter display.  Should be a pretty decent scale for six-inch figures!

1 comment:

  1. Gotta catch 'em all! These are all super cute. You just need an Ash figure now.

    ReplyDelete