Monday, September 17, 2018

Mario and Cappy

Mario and Cappy
World of Nintendo - Jakks Pacific

The World of Nintendo line has cooled as of late, which is a shame since it's the kind of line every kid in the 90s dreamed of.  It's also a shame that it's become less the World of Nintendo and more the World of Mario.  Good thing we love that plumber so much!  I haven't played Mario Odyssey, but I hear its a must-have for Nintendo Switch.  The gimmick of this game is that Mario's hat is a sentient being that he uses to overcome obstacles.  Even if I don't ever get around to the game (Switch holds little appeal to me, and I still feel burned by the failure of the Wii U), we've got the best Mario action figure variant ever!

It's the first sans-hat Mario figure!  Well, action figure...I have a vintage PVC figurine without a hat and a creepy looking doll where the hat is removable.  Anyway, this is Mario without his hat as we have seen in Super Mario 64, Smash Bros, and now Odyssey.  I won't say Cappy is removable, as its not really meant to sit on Mario's head with the sculpted features of his hair.  You can get it to sit on top in a few ways, but it doesn't look natural. Oh well, Mario's hair looks great anyway!

This Mario also features a new pointing hand and some realistic detailing on his overalls that set him aside from previous variants.  As a plus for customizers, I have seen online that the hat-less head and hands can easily be modified to fit the superior-articulated SH Figuarts Mario.

I do wish it had a regular Mario "M" hat as well,(maybe the metal hat from Mario 64, too) but this is still a unique take on an old character that is worth having in the lineup. 








1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I really want this variant as my and my daughter both love Odyssey. I hope this line gets some steam back with the release of the new Smash Bros., too. This line needs to keep going deeper and deeper!

    ReplyDelete