Tuesday, June 12, 2018

The Flintmobile

The Flintmobile
The Flintstones - Mattel
 
Yabba-dabba-do!  Let's take a trip back to the prehistoric past!  All the way to 1994 with Mattel's Flintstones movie line.  I've always been a Flintstones fan growing up.  I loved the reruns, the Flintstones Kids (which makes me gag now). I had related toys and games.  I've been Fred for Halloween twice in my lifetime. And I've even been to a now defunct Flintstones theme park in Custer, South Dakota a couple of times (I have a souvenir ash tray from this park.  Talk about stone age..."souvenir ash tray?").  While the live-action movie version falls flat in the comedy department, I do love the overall look of the product.  As such, I couldn't help but buy into the toy line...and eat a billion McRibs at RocDonalds.  I'll have to dig out those happy meal toys and collectible glasses someday. Anyway...
 
The Flintmobile from this line eluded me for some reason until now.  I think it was because I had a hand-me-down Flintstones electric toothbrush set that's base was the car, and it fit well enough with the figures.  But now I'm an adult and have money to buy stupid things on Ebay! 
It's pretty simple...it looks like the car, it fits the family of four, and it rolls.  It could benefit from some paint detailing, maybe a dirty wash to get in the woodwork and stone.  The box says it "rolls with stone age sound" as an action feature.  If an annoying plastic clicking sound is stone age, mission accomplished?  It certainly doesn't have the charm of any sound effect from the Hanna Barbera library.
Insert "it's a living" joke and laugh track here.
It completes my Flintstones movie line-up save for some Fred and Barney variants.  Such a strange group.  Being able to say you have Kyle MacLachlan and Rosie O'Donnell action figures in your collection is weird enough, but to have them in these squashy toon/realistic hybrid caricatures? Bizarro.  I only wish "Viva Rock Vegas" (barf) had been successful enough to give us an Alan Cumming Great Gazoo figure.  At least Harvey Korman made it to action figure form with the Dictabird...oh, wait...dammit...must still be in storage.  Sorry, Harvey.
 


1 comment:

  1. That's a nice collection but man, these are still some of the strangest looking action figures. They have fairly good likeness, but they have really unusual proportions. They're an odd mix of Kenner's realism and Playmates' funky mutant proportions. These came out when I was around 10 and I remember thinking how strange they were. Now, to be honest, I've never been the biggest Flintstones fan, but I was definitely the target demographic for a Flintstones toyline and I passed. These pegwarmed pretty hard back then if I remember. Oddly enough, I seem to remember having the Flintstones kids toys from the mid-late 80s when I was younger. There was a schoolhouse or something, right?

    ReplyDelete