Thursday, August 24, 2017

Scrooge McDuck

Scrooge McDuck
as
Ebenezer Scrooge
Playing Mantis Toys -2003

I've been on a big Uncle Scrooge kick lately.  I was a big fan of DuckTales as a kid.  It kind of goes hand in hand with my love of Indiana Jones, seeing as how Scrooge's adventures inspired some sequences in Raiders of the Lost Ark.  Not too long ago, I started collecting and reading the chronological Don Rosa comics, including "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck."  I met Don Rosa at a convention and got the first volume signed along with a full-color Scrooge print.  And now there is a new DuckTales reboot cartoon.  

The only thing lacking about this revival so far is toys.  I had DT Colorforms, Play Doh sets, and PVC figurines back in the day.  The Uncle Scrooge figurine I got on my first trip to Disneyland in 1989 is still cherished, but very play worn.  I picked up a nice Scrooge plush doll about 10 years back as a Disney Store exclusive.  I reviewed some blind-bag keychains here a couple months back.  I already have a Funko Pop Scrooge on pre-order for September.  I guess it's not a bad list of collectibles after all...but still no articulated action figures.  The closest we have to this is a line of "Mickey's Christmas Carol" figures from Playing Mantis in 2003.

Scale-wise, Scrooge here is close to the 5-inch mark.  The articulation is appropriate, but lacking by today's standards.  He has a swivel neck, swivel arms, swivel legs, swivel wrists, and hinged elbows.  The sculpt is spot-on and the paint is clean.  This figure really shines with the number of accessories you get.








The cloth coat is removable (it's a little bulky, and hides a lot of the figure) with a snap button and the scarf can be untied.  The top hat is also removable, and he comes with a cane, a stack of coins, candle, bugle, toy soldier, and an opening sack.







While I long for an extensive line of DuckTales figures one day, I have to say that this Scrooge is pretty nice.  I'm not sure what he runs on Ebay right now (he was a birthday gift from my lovely wife) but I highly recommend this figure.

   





No comments:

Post a Comment