Friday, June 2, 2017

Wolverine: Old Man Logan

Wolverine: Old Man Logan
Hasbro 6-inch figure

So, the "Old Man Logan" comic that this figure is based on is kinda bat-shit insane.  I'm not going to go into details, but I will leave you with this nugget for your curiosity:  he fights the hillbilly, inbred offspring of the Incredible Hulk and She-Hulk.  Needless to say, that did not make its way into the loosely-adapted movie "Logan," which this figure's release was timed for.  

It's a great looking figure.  Short, stocky, and mean looking...and fairly accurate to the comic.  The articulation and paint are perfect and there's some nice detail in the shirt, coat, buckle, and boots.  The facial expression is great for moderately-peeved Logan.  A snarling, screaming Adamantium rage alternate head (WTF?!) would have been a nice pack-in, as this figure comes with zero accessories...not even a build-a-figure-part.  Nope, not even alternate, claws-sheathed hands.  Really?!

I would have left this figure on the shelf if it were not for the potential of having an excellent civilian-clothes Logan in my collection.  Also, it helped that I already had a decent head-swap in mind with an old figure I already had.  Enter House of M Wolverine (aka Air Strike Wolverine) from an offshoot of Toy Biz's Marvel Legends line, X-Men series.  It's a decent, comic accurate figure, but is way too tall and lanky for my tastes.  Still, the head sculpt is one of the best unmasked Wolverines out there.  

After boiling and popping the head off, it was off to get my Dremel tool.  It took some work and care hollowing out the head so it would fit on OM Logan's neck ball.  For some reason, they made this one unnecessarily large.  But with a little patience and some trial fittings: 


Not too bad, in my opinion. The head sits a little higher than I'd like, but looks great with the full range of motion and hunched over poses.  If I was a real stickler, I would match the skin tones on the neck and hands better.  Good enough for me!  
The head also fits the Hasbro Legends Wolverine that came out in the previous X-Men wave:


I'm happy with the results of a, what, customizer level 2 job?  I made the $20 figure work for me, otherwise, it probably wouldn't be worth the money or time.  Here's hoping Hasbro gets to the yellow and blue, tiger stripe Wolverine redeco soon!  

1 comment: