Monday, November 22, 2021

Ecto-1 Popcorn Container

Ecto-1 Popcorn Container

AMC Theaters Exclusive

What could be more exciting than a Ghostbusters sequel that rights the ship after the 2016 debacle?  How about an Ecto-1 popcorn “bucket” that is close enough in scale to the 6-in Plasma Series figures?  

What?!  Yes!  At close to 17 inches long, this is the biggest toy compatible Ecto (no, I’m not counting the $200 + LEGO Ecto model) we have been given…and maybe the best we will ever be given.  I’ve complained about Mattel and Hasbro’s failings with Ghostbusters figures til I’m blue in the face…who would have thought it would be AMC Theaters to the rescue?

This was a Ghostbusters Afterlife opening day (November 18), in-theaters-only exclusive.  It was $35 and included a large popcorn.  I have no idea how many people actually drowned this thing in salt and butter, but I can imagine it wasn’t fun to clean out.  My toys wouldn’t approve of the smell or oily residue.  The interior is bare bones, and perfect for figure modification. The Plasma figures fit with room to spare, and the lid closes without bumping heads. 

Outside, it’s quite a thing of beauty for the price. The roof rack is highly detailed, as is the grill, tail fins, mirrors, and lights.  And speaking of lights…with the push of a button, four flashing blue rollers!  That would have been a tier bonus for a $300 crowdfunded Hasbro toy, I would wager!  The wheels don’t roll, but all I was asking for was something that my dolls could fit in.

This is supposed to be the dilapidated, modern look of the car.  Far from “rust city”, the only wear here is some over-applied brown paint.  If someone wanted a true 1984 look, it probably wouldn’t be a hard repaint.  Of course, you would want to move the ladder to the other side, wouldn’t you, nerd?  

 

 

After decades of waiting, I finally have a substitute to make my line feel complete.  I’m sure there are others out there that feel the same way, as it sold out pretty quick.  AMC is putting it up on their website as I’m writing this follow-up (November 22)…act fast, don’t waver…it may not last long!

No comments:

Post a Comment